According to McCown, Principal Scott McClanahan received a report of a gas smell in the Vocational automotive area of the school, and as a precaution evacuated students to the stadium across the street, at approximately 10:15 a.m.
"In the event it is hazardous, we would transport the students to an alternate site," said McCown.
According to McCown, 911 was contacted, who dispatched the Calhoun City Fire Department to the scene.
The school was cleared for reentry by students around 10:25 a.m. according to McCown.
"It appears to have been a heater in the shop area of the school firing up for the first time this year, which gave off the odor," said McCown.